Tuesday, October 30, 2012

If You Build It, Maybe They Will Come!

 

Week 3

 

     I stated earlier a good idea is just that, until implemented, a good idea. Lots of planning, components coming together just right, thorough testing of product, and team members have to be assembled to make a idea a success.

     I have teams that work for me across the globe building internet sites. It is something that I am familiar with and those teams are also. Stepping out into a world of building a software application or a smartphone application is something I didn't know at all. I asked the teams that worked for me building internet sites if they could complete a task like this or if they had any recommendations and they said no. Looking back on it now as I write this, feeling my way around this new world of application building was like going into a dark house you have been in before. You feel your way around and hope to find a light switch.

     The first thing I started doing was reading articles on building mobile and software applications. How much they cost? How long it would take? I read all the ups and downs and ins and outs of building applications like this. It took a while. I thought at this time I had a understanding of what I wanted in a application and who I should be looking for.

     The second thing I did was post a description of what I was looking for, as far as abilities, in a contractor on a couple of contracting sites such as Elance and Odesk. I researched all the reputable mobile application builders that applied and invited the top rated contractors to apply. I read what others that have used them said, read their backgrounds, researched their companies on google, and interviewed the top candidates. I made out a list of pros and cons from the conversations I had. I did most of the interviews on Skype. I asked for all candidates to send me a list of referrals, by Thursday giving me Friday to talk to all referrals.

     The last thing I did was I called all referrals and then put together a spreadsheet of all of the candidates. I listed out the pros and cons of them all, their cost of project, vital information from Skype conversations, and what referrals said about them. I reviewed it a few times over the weekend and narrowed it down to two candidates. I decided to do one more interview that Monday and make a final decision. I sent the two final candidates a notice letting them know I wanted talk once more, but I didn't let them know they were the final two. Lots to think over.
    



No comments:

Post a Comment