Saturday, April 14, 2012

What do we name it?

 

Week 2

 
 
     With any idea one of the first things that comes to your mind is what are we going to name it. I thought a lot about it over the weekend while working around the lodge. One of the things I do outside of duck hunting is helping others with their marketing of their own businesses, but coming up with a name for this software was proving to be difficult for me. Usually I spout off catchy marketable names when I know what a business owner is trying to accomplish with his business.
 
     A few factors you have to think about in choosing a name in this Internet age is being able to buy the domain you want for your product. So when choosing a name that has to factor in. A name that is already being used will confuse users and is not good for business. That is why there is google and yahoo. They are both catchy, short, and were easy for the buyers of the domains to purchase and easy for users to remember. The second is how hard it is to win the battle on Google and other search engines with your product and product name. Internet drives sales, so it is important to have the right name on the Internet. Third, will users remember your name? It has to be short and sweet or catchy and bold. Since most single word domains are long gone these days, catchy and bold is the next best route.
 
     The three keywords that kept coming to my mind was "Wild", "Call", and "Blow". I thought of wild for wild game, call for calls, and blow because it is the action you do with a game call. So I came inside and wrote these words down on three separate pieces of paper. I listed all the phrases and words that could possibly fit with these three words. The first thing I noticed when I put the papers on my desk was call and wild went together. 
 
     The first name I came up with was "Call of The Wild". I researched it in depth and found:
                 1. The name was trademarked and would be difficult to use.
                 2. The domain was already taken.
                 3. I read it many times. It just wasn't catchy enough. It could go different ways.
                 4. I didn't think a user after hearing it once could remember it.
 
      I did not completely take it off the board though. It was a choice, but I knew I had to come up with other names. I slept on it that night and came back to my desk when I awoke. I do my best thinking in the morning with my coffee. I thought of what the goal of the software would be for a user. It is to teach hunters to be better callers. The action is to blow a game call into a computer or phone. The return action of the software is to make that caller better. I thought of my guides and them being professional callers. I thought of the software making users as good a caller as my pro guides.
 
      I wrote the phrases "Blow Like A Pro" and "Blow Like The Pros". My thoughts on these:
                 1. They were catchy and bold.
                 2. They were available to buy in my domain search.  
                 3. I think users could easily remember them.
                 4. The only downside is in mixed company they could be taken the wrong way. 
          
 
So at the end of the day I had three names to think about. I knew with prayer and in depth discussions with my partner Troy we would make the right decision.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment